June 6, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6th June

badge

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. And here we are!

Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join them!
a divide
And another Monday comes round. This week I was feeling a bit blah so on Tuesday I went to see the New Zealand movie Hunt For the Wilderpeople. Lots of my family had been and enjoyed it so off I went. Well I sure laughed and chuckled my way through it. It was a comedy,  some a little over the top but the straight dour character played by Sam Neill kept it balanced. I am not much of a movie goer, always have good intentions but never quite get my act together usually.

While it has been released in Australia and about to be in the USA I suspect it will not play in a theatre near you! But in case it does, go!



My teddy bear block from my quilting class was returned. Someone else had taken it home!

I also won a $50 gift voucher from our local library because I was drawn from those who answered an online survey about their Axis 360 programme.  The librarian told me that most people in the survey had asked for more audiobooks on it so I guess that has to be good. It has such a limited number that I don't bother with it much. I spent some of the money on a box that looks like books to house my quilt blocks while they are being assembled.


I added it to the box I had bought earlier in the week to house the blocks of  another quilt I am doing.

I love bookie things!!

Are you still with me? Okay then you will learn that this week because it is the beginning of summer for many and the beginning of winter for a few, I am giving away a $15 Amazon USA voucher or a choice of a book to be sent to you. One person will be drawn from all those who link with their It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post this week. I'll do the draw later in the week - like Thursday NZ time and let you know next week. 

What I read last week:

book cover book cover

book cover book cover

What I am reading at present:

Listening on my iPod:
book cover
Really disappointed with the narration of this one. The narrator received many good reviews, but I am just enduring. One voice - her own for all the characters.

Also listening to a library CD pack of: 
book cover

I am reading from the review pile:
book cover

Up next:

From my TBR pile .... 
book cover
From the review pile.... to be decided!


Posts from the last week:

The Thing Is    Kathleen Gerard
When We Were Sisters   Emilie Richards.

a divide

34 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win! Narrators can make an otherwise good book a chore to get through. I experienced the same and had to give up on the audio and read in print. Miller's Valley and Mystic Summer are on quite a few TBR lists. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... a competition! Very exciting!

    A friend of mine saw the Wilderpeople movie as well and enjoyed it. I wondered if it had NZ origins as she worded her update in a bizarre form of Kiwi-English. (Or something!) She's a regular visitor to NZ and a close friend of hers lives there I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your prize winning. Love the book storage box! I've seen a craft on Pinterest where you cut up old book covers and attach them to storage crates to make hidden storage.

    I loved Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. I read the book and listened to the audio. I thought the narration was fantastic. It is true that a narrator can make or break an audio book.

    I've got Mystic Summer on my TBR pile too. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the voucher. I like that book block and glad the teddy bear block came back too. :) That movie looks fun! I'll have to watch for it in case it comes near here.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Mystic Summer on my list...and I hope you love Miller's Valley as much as I did. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice win! Love your book box. I have a jewellery box that was my great grandmothers. It looks like a copy of treasure island and it's one of my my most precious possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a good reading week. That Hannah Mckinnon book looks like it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think those boxes are so cute. Enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your win. Glad that your teddy bear quilt came back. I enjoyed Miller's Valley and hope that enjoy it as well. I'm reading Anne Cleeland's Murder in Hindsight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the win, your bookish boxes are cute. I know what you mean about narrators who only use one voice it's a bit frustrating. I listen to a lot of Librovox books and they have volunteers read them which can be hit or miss. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mystic Summer looks really good. I'm going to add that to my wishlist. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your big win and the book boxes are beautiful! Miller's Valley was excellent imprint and I've heard good things about the audio version, too. Hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt boxes are beautiful! I love bookie things too. I've been wanting to read Cee Cee Honeycut but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for offering the US gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATS on your win.

    Loved Cee Cee Honeycut. How is Seven Sisters? I love Lucinda Riley's books.

    I have Mystic Summer...I hope you are enjoying it.

    Have a wonderful week, Kathryn.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your book boxes! How fun! And congrats on your win!

    I am glad your teddy bear block was returned. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the cover of Mystic Summer. Off to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you love reading Cee Cee Honeycutt?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your winning!! The book box is really cool!!
    I am anxious to see your thoughts on Mystic Summer. I have that one to read soon. I hope you enjoy it!
    Jude Deveraux is an old favorite that I haven't read in a long time.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on winning the library raffle and for finding your quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That movie looks really good! Great trailer. I will look for it here in the US - I don't think we get too many movies from your part of the world.

    Lucky you to win your library's drawing! Congrats!

    I enjoyed Saving Cee Cee Honeycut and would love to read Anna Quindlan's latest - enjoy your books this week!

    Sue

    2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your win...no thing like money linked to books. Enjoy spending it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a neat thing to get! My spouse makes more abstract versions of that kind of "book". Last week I read Fallen Light by Benjamin A Sorensen and Gnarly New Year by Anna Celeste Burke (ARC) as well as two other ARCs: Ante Up by Chautona Havig and Oliver Twisted.This week is Celina Grace's 9th Kate Redman Mystery: Siren and Ship of Fools by Katherine Ann Porter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am definitely going to have to check out the Hunt for the Wilderpeople when it plays around here....I chuckled through most that trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These book boxes are so cool! I love them. And hoorah on your teddy bear quilt being returned. Whew! I will work on my post today. I just checked and saw I haven't linked up to this meme since 4/25!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can say with 99.99% that they will not show it here, so maybe on dvd :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your winning. Your book boxes look so cute. Love it. I hope you enjoy your books. I have Mystic Summers to read and I am looking forward to reading it. Happy reading. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What lovely boxes, and congratulations on the win! I'm happy you received your quilt squares back. All that work is back in your hands. That movie looks so fun! It will probably be a while before it hits the USA. It was the same with The Dressmaker, if I remember correctly. I really want to read Mystic Summers, but my library hasn't stocked it. I'll probably just go ahead and buy the ebook when I make time to read it. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad you got your quilt block back! That must be quite a relief. I love the bookish boxes. They're so pretty! I'm curious about The Seven Sisters. It looks like a fascinating read. I look forward to seeing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hmmm picked up quite a few suggestions Kathryn thanks. I just finished a debut called Must Love Wieners the first in a new dachshund rescue series. Cute, look for my review and author interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will look forward to that and have it too for review so will no doubt love your interview.

      Delete
  30. I've read a few Anna Quindlen books. Have you read others of hers before Miller's Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey this is my very first by her and so far hooked and impressed!

      Delete
  31. I'm glad your Teddy Bear Block was returned. Those are lovely boxes for storing your blocks. Congrats on your $50 win. It is generous of you to have an amazon contest. I hope you enjoy Miller's Valley. I did. I have Mystic Summer. I will look forward to your review. I checked my library for audio that might be on my list, but only found one (non-fiction): Being Mortal. I hope our library starts having more audios to offer. I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...